[obol] Salem Red-throated Loon

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 13:13:32 -0700

I've been checking the deep water ponds around Salem, they are mostly in SE
Salem, the past few days while stormy weather has seen others in the
mid-Willamette Valley finding Brown Pelicans, Clark's Grebes, Sabines and
Heermanns Gulls, Pacific Loons, Scoters and I don't know what all, but here in
Salem there has been nothing besides WESTERN GREBES and HORNED GREBES in
addition to the usual CORMORANTS, DUCKS, GEESE, etc.
This morning, around 10, I saw a RED-THROATED LOON while peeking through the
gate behind Kelly's looking at the large pond that you can see from I-5 near
the exit to Detroit and Salem for Highway 22.  It was in the neighborhood of
the 3 WESTERN GREBES that have been there for a few days.  Not much else on
this large gravel pond.  Some COOTS, RUDDIES, CORMORANTS, PB GREBES. I drove to
the entrance off Lancaster and walked in to get a better look and it was in
close there and I got good looks.  East of there, the Aumsville Sewage Ponds
had little beside a lot of SHOVELERS, a few WOOD DUCKS, and 200 DUNLIN.  There
has been a (lead poisoned?) SHOVELER that holds its bill straight up at an
impossible angle while on the water, and whenever it tries to fly it goes
straight up about 5 feet then abruptly dives straight back into the water.
Over and over again.
Summer's gone, my oh my.
Roy Gerig, Salem OR