[obol] Re: Possible Long-toed Stint foot detail

  • From: "Robert O'Brien" <baro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ed mcvicker <ed.mcvicker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:21:17 -0700

I had the good fortune to be on Attu in Spring, 1998 where there were a lot
of Long-toed Stints (LTST) and
no Least Sandpipers (LESA).  They were  in breeding plumage, of course.  I
believe the pale base to the lower mandible
is overrated in LTST.  I also agree this is a very difficult identification
in Oregon.

I also have seen (eventual) Least Sandpipers 'standing tall in fall' in
Oregon.
This often happens when they are by themselves, in vegetation rather than
mudflats, and are therefore
more than a little nervous.  They appear to stretch to get a better look
around.
It is a very distinctive pose that certainly attracts a birder's attention..
I've experienced what Ed describes quite a few times on the Oregon coast in
Fall and ended up
thinking that the bird was probably a LESA but never knowing for sure.

That said, this could well be a Long-toed.

A structural field mark (of uncertain applicability to my knowledge) is the
relative length of the
central toe (after all, it is a LONG-toed Stint) relative to the length of
the bill; longer than the bill
in LTST and shorter than LESA.

I've compared Ed's bird to one I photographed on Attu.  Neither photo is
crystal clear as to the lengths,
but, at least qualitatively, they appear similar.  Note that the based of
the lower mandible in the Attu
LTST is completely dark.

http://www2.rdrop.com/users/green/LTST/LTST.jpg

Bob OBrien