[obol] Salem Glaucous Gull and Orange-crowned Warbler

  • From: "Jeff Harding" <jeffharding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 20:56:28 -0700

On lunch break today I took a walk along the Mill Creek behind the Oregon
Lottery and the State Printing Plant. There was an Orange-crowned Warbler
working in the trees and bushes along the creek, and a few Myrtle Warblers.

Some gulls flew over, and circled behind the print plant. One had that
lovely light tan color, and pale wingtips. When it circled close by, I could
see it had the pink bill with a black tip, a Glaucous gull. I don't know
where gulls aggregate around the airport these days. Gateway Park often has
some, and there are often some on the pond at Lowe's. We used to see them in
good numbers at the little park off State Street across from the junction
with Airport Road, but the parking for that park is closed now, so no one
goes there to feed birds, so birds don't aggregate there so much.

Good birding,

Jeff