[obol] Re: Robin food

  • From: "Jenkins, Maurice A." <alanjenkins@xxxxxx>
  • To: "fschrock@xxxxxxxxx" <fschrock@xxxxxxxxx>, Yamhillbirders <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOLINKS <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 07:29:34 +0000

Floyd,

The photo you presented of the moth caught by the American Robin appears to
show only the two forewings in any detail.  It appears to me that the hindwings
are being held so that our view of them is only edge-on.  Additionally I think
the photo shows a ventral view of the moth; however, most moth photos are a
dorsal view.

These aspects makes identification of the species a tad dicey, but I'll
foolishly rush in and say I think it is Hemileuca nuttalli (my low power
Outlook email does not have italics).  Compare your photo with the ventral
forewings of the specimen shown in this link:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/894555 and see if you agree.  The common name for
H. nuttalli is Nuttall's Sheep Moth and it is a large species that occurs in
Oregon and during the current season, although its season of highest abundance
is mostly later in the summer.

Regards,

Alan Jenkins
Creswell, OR