[obol] Red-shouldered Hawk in the dawn song

  • From: "L Markoff" <canyoneagle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'OBOL'" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 07:29:12 -0800

Good morning, Obol

Sitting here listening to the getting-richer dawn song, I can hear a
Steller's Jay doing a weak Red-Shouldered Hawk imitation.  The funny thing
is, it brings to mind a Blue Jay doing a Red-shouldered, rather than an
actual Red-shouldered.  I guess these Steller's Jays will get better at it
the longer they live with Red-shouldered Hawks.  Unlike last winter when the
Red-Shouldered Hawks left our neighborhood for a few months, this winter we
have had Red-shouldered Hawks all winter.  They are getting more vocal
lately, so perhaps they will nest here again this year.

In addition to doing the Red-shouldered, the Steller's Jay would do its
Red-tailed Hawk imitation as well as other vocalizations, creating a long
string of vocals.  It reminds me of how the Mockingbirds of my previous
yards would run through their repertoires as the approaching nesting season
would bring on the hormones.

The dawn song brings such cheer!

Lori Markoff

Eugene