[obol] Raptor ID: Thanks for your help!

  • From: Misty Stromme <mstromme@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 13:34:30 -0700

Hello OBOL,
I posted last week asking for help identifying a raptor. More than 10
people responded, and all of them concluded that the bird in question was
in fact a merlin, not a sharp-shinned hawk, as my mom expected. She still
suffers from what I call "Avid Amateur Syndrome," where she wants to
imagine every raptor is something new and different, instead of just
another red-tailed hawk. She's still learning, and to be fair, so am I. I
certainly don't have all the answers. But I'm pleased to know that, this
time anyway, I was right!  :)  Thank you to everyone who helped participate
in the identification.

I recently returned from a trip to Klamath Falls and I have another raptor
picture, if anyone is interested in tackling the ID. This one is far more
challenging, a dark buteo that had us debating all weekend. I will try to
find a site to host the picture if anyone is interested in weighing in on
the issue.

Thanks again! I love OBOL.

Sincerely,
Misty Stromme