[obol] RN Grebes Rocky Point KLAMCO

  • From: Kevin Spencer <rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "klamathbasinbirdnews: googlegroups.com" <klamathbasinbirdnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 00:52:07 -0400 (EDT)

Two Red-necked Grebes were spotted out from the USFS boat launch area of Rocky Point, Upper Klamath Lake , Klamath County, today.

Since I didn't see them from shore, but from a boat that was out in the channel, I would say a good scope would be needed to spot them from the boat launch area. Look in a general SE direction from the launch area. They were closely associated with one another and were always together during observation time.

This is the first time in a number of years, that I have seen more than one adult in the summer season at Rocky Point. They may still be hanging on as a nesting species, but nesting this year is unconfirmed as displays, or young were not seen.

Kevin Spencer
rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx
Klamath Falls, OR