[obol] Re: RBA: Long-toed Stint at Nehalem Sewage Ponds

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 21:51:35 -0700

On Jul 23, 2014, at 9:44 PM, David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is a good cautionary Jeff. I believe that the size dimorphism is the
> opposite of what you stated though, and the opposite of the majority of the
> those in the sandpiper family (SCOLOPACIDAE). The male is the larger sex, the
> female Pectoral is the smaller.

David - you are probably right.  I thought I recalled that female Pectorals
were larger.  As you mentioned, it varies by species in members of the genus:

" Males are larger than females in ruffs and several sandpipers, but are
smaller than females in the knots, curlews, phalaropes and godwits. The sexes
are similarly sized in the snipes, woodcock and tringine sandpipers."