[obol] Portland Audubon Sooty Grouse search trip today

  • From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "portland-area-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <portland-area-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 00:55:18 -0400

12 fearless birders joined me on today's Portland Audubon Sooty Grouse search
trip in the Northern Coast Range which lead us to the woods west of Timber.
Thanks to the participants for the great spotting!
We ended up with a total of 7 Sooty Grouse, with 2 birds seen (1 in Washington
and 1 in Tillamook). Our best sighting was a cooperative bird along Rice Road.
We relocated the Townsend's Solitaire at the site described in yesterday's
posting (in Tillamook Co), but it proved to be elusive. We could hear it sing
several times, but only one person actually saw it.
Singing Golden-crowned Kinglet, nice looks at perched Red Crossbill, Pileated
Woodpecker, heard-only Evening Grosbeak, American Dipper, Red-breasted
Sapsucker and Hermit Thrush were some of the better, yet to-be-expected
goodies.
The day ended in style along Timber Rd at the base of the switchbacks some 2mi
south of Timber where we walked away from a Northern Pygmy-Owl barely 30ft away
from us and a singing Black-throated Gray Warbler.
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR