[obol] Photo: Black-necked Stilt & 3 Chicks in Nest Baskett Slough NWR

  • From: Jim Leonard <photojleonard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 14:03:51 -0700

I went out to Baskett Slough NWR this morning and relocated a Black-necked
Stilt nest I had photographed a couple of weeks ago. It is very hard to
spot. There were 3 new Black-necked Stilt Chicks on the nest with one of
the parents. With all the vegetation it is real hard to get a photo. I
watched for over an hour and only had one photo that showed all three
chicks. The parents would rotate sitting on the nest about every 20
minutes. One chick roamed around within 10 feet radius of the nest. Every
time a blackbird came to close one of the parents would chase them off.
Click on link below for photo. Happy Birding, Jim Leonard.
( nest was on the south side of Covelle Rd. east of the narrows parking.)

https://picasaweb.google.com/108302360004365615395/BlackNeckedStiltChicksBaskett?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOXMnqXLqrbhmAE&feat=directlink