[obol] Re: Help with bird identity

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "n2nrn2@xxxxxxxxx" <n2nrn2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 13:46:32 -0700

My wild guess is flock of red-winged blackbirds where most or all were
females.

Bob Archer
Pdx

On Jun 17, 2015, at 12:17 PM, Jeff Earl <n2nrn2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all on list!
I'm not sure if I can provide enough information , but if not maybe you can
point me in a productive direction.
I am an OTR truck driver and not really a birder, but always enjoy observing
my surroundings. While driving on I5 near Halsey, OR, my truck was paced by
a flock of about 50 birds for almost 1/2 minute. I have tried to identify
what I saw. using online ID sources, but can't.
The closest I could find to their plumage would be a black and white warbler,
but these birds were much larger, and were able to pace me at 58mph. They
were good flyers and had wings somewhat like swallow, and were quite
maneuverable as well. Sizewize I would say they were 10-12in beak to tail.
I would appreciate any help you can afford. This was a pretty amazing
encounter and just recounting it here has brought a smile to my face.
Thanks,
Trucker Jeff