[obol] Philomath Sewage Ponds - storm birds

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Midvalley Birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 11:51:23 -0700

I checked the Philomath Sewage Ponds this morning to see if the storm had
blown anything in. Unfortunately, I arrived about 5 minutes too late ... I
learned from Will Wright (who got there 10 minutes before me) that I had
just missed a BROWN PELICAN and a SABINE'S GULL, who both took off for
destinations unknown. Aargh!!!

However, I found 2 storm-blown HEERMANN'S GULLS on the central pond (photos
under the links below) and about 10 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES (didn't find any
Reds). Other than that, the ponds held the usual assortment of waterfowl,
including 4 HORNED GREBES, about a dozen EARED GREBES, 2 CANVASBACKS and 3
REDHEADS.

https://flic.kr/p/px6KDw

https://flic.kr/p/pMs9wE

Keep your eyes open for more storm action!

Good birding

Hendrik

--
Hendrik G. Herlyn

*"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."     -- Gary Snyder*