[obol] Cape Arago, Coos Cty Seawatch

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:13:33 -0700

Kathy, Tim Rodenkirk and I stood at Cape Arago for about 2 hours this morning. I'm not good at tallying birds, but here's an idea of what we had:

massive movement of LOONS headed south, all three species.

large numbers of SCOTERS, mostly Surf, some White-winged going by - one BLACK mixed in one flock

Many HEERMAN'S GULLS, plus wads of other gulls including small numbers of BONAPARTE'S GULLS. Only 1 BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE though - most must have been further out. 3 SABINE'S GULLS were the highlights

2 ELEGANT TERNS flew by

Good numbers of BROWN PELICANS headed south

Lots of COMMON MURRES moving south, small numbers of CASSIN'S AUKLETS, a couple of RHINOS, no confirmed Marbled.

Many many PHALAROPES presumably REDS - scads everywhere flying south, sitting on the water.

At least 4 JAEGERS, of which we felt good about two POMERINES.

A couple of SHEARWATERS of the Sooty/ST type, and a handful of close FULMARS.

Best birds however were about 6 or so LEACH'S STORM PETRELS just right off shore, wonderful views. There may have been a dark rumped type storm petrel but not sure what it was.

That's about what I recall. Good weather until about 1/2 hour ago or so when things got ugly and we scurried away. Nice viewing but due to good conditions I think a lot was further out - you could see large number of birds way off shore but too far for us to look at - we concentrated on the stuff moving right off the reef.

Thanks to Mike P and Tim for helping to kick our butts out of bed, for a change.

Cheers
Dave Lauten and Kathy Castelein