[obol] Re: Pale Red-tail in CO

  • From: Lyn Topinka <pointers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'obol'" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 16:12:40 -0800

Thanks Tom ... I too was wondering what the answer was to Craig's question as
to why this wouldn't be considered a Krider's ... I've never seen a Krider's
and really appreciate learning ... your points were all educational for me ...
Thanks.

Lyn

On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 15:48:03 -0800
"Tom Crabtree" <tc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Craig & Richard,
>

> Hopefully Brian will reply to this as he is one of the experts in the
> field.  I would say it isn’t Krider’s because of these factors:
>

> 1.       Range, as mentioned by Richard, Krider’s don’t occur this
> far west (weakest of the arguments, to be sure); Liguori & Sullivan’s
> article in the March 2010 Birding says there are no documented
> records west of the Rockies.
>
> 2.       The underparts are too white; Krider’s should show a lot of
> buffy coloration
>
> 3.       The tail appears to be too red.  Krider’s are mostly white.
>
> 4.       Adult male Krider’s (as this appears to be in age) show a
> dark malar region.  This bird’s is white with a few dusky streaks
>
> 5.       Krider’s should show a well-defined sub-terminal band on the
> tail.
>

> One other point is that Krider’s taxonomic status is unclear.  Some
> consider it a subspecies while others believe it is a pale extreme of
> the borealis subspecies.
>

> Tom Crabtree
>

> From: obol-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:obol-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
> Behalf Of Craig Miller Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2015 10:59 AM
> To: Richard W. Musser
> Cc: tom crabtree; Charles Gates; obol; Brian Sullivan
> Subject: [obol] Re: Pale Red-tail in CO
>

> Hi Richard,
>

> All your points are well-taken, and I pretty much agree with
> everything you say. However, the what I was wondering (and seems to
> be missed, or am I missing something?) is if we do take the edgy step
> of conjecturing, why doesn't this bird fit Krider's better than
> Harlan's?
>

> Craig

Lyn Topinka
Vancouver, Wa.