[obol] Re: Pale Red-tail in CO

  • From: "Tom Crabtree" <tc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>, "'obol'" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 15:31:09 -0800

Chuck,

It would be nice to have better shots of the tail, but it is either a light
phase Harlan's Hawk or a leucistic Red-tail.  It looks an awful lot like a
white-headed, light-phase Harlan's in an article by Brian Sullivan (who I hope
will comment on this) and Jerry Liguori in the March 2010 Birding.
http://www.aba.org/birding/v42n2p30.pdf  This is whiter than the Harlan's I
have seen but I think it still in in the range of that race.

Tom Crabtree, Bend