[obol] Re: Our trip to the Central Oregon Cascades

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 13:28:09 -0700

Chestnut-backed Chickadees can be found in the mixed conifer forest just
west of the central Cascade crest.  While doing the Santiam Pass CBC a few
years ago, I heard several of them calling from the snow-covered conifers
just west of Hoodoo.  I've never seen them in the Sisters area and wouldn't
expect to find them in ponderosa pine-dominated forests, but I wouldn't be
shocked if small numbers of them are breeding down there.

Brandon
Eugene

-----
*Subject: Our trip to the Central Oregon Cascades*
Date: Sat Jul 12 2014 14:36 pm
From: celata AT pacifier.com

Teresa, Michelle and I have just returned from an week of visiting

the Central Oregon Cascades including Crater Lake, Newberry Crater and

other high elevation tourist destinations.

Notable bird species on the trip include WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKER at

Klamath Marsh and Cold Springs, PINYON JAYS in Bend.  And yes, it was

me who reported the BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES in Deschutes County (Cold

Springs and Sisters).  I down-graded them on eBird to chickadee sp.

since I have no pictures and failed to adequately document them.  I can

say with confidence that they were not Mountain Chickadees...

I debrief on the trip at:
http://www.surfbirds.com/commu...
<http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/northcoastdiaries/>

Additional photos at: