[obol] Northern Bobwhite - not countable

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 08:37:50 -0800

I agree with everything Dave Irons had to say.  I believe he meant to say that
Northern Bobwhite are not COUNTABLE due to the lack of self-sustaining
populations even though they remain on the official Oregon bird checklist as
"extirpated."
I only mention it because Northern Bobwhite, as well as another extirpated
species the Sharp-tailed Grouse, both are included in the 528 bird species on
the official checklist (as of March 2013).  As I understand, the small
population of Sharp-tailed Grouse around Lostine (NE Oregon) are not
self-sustaining and the species status remains "extirpated."
Good birding,Russ NamitzMedford