[obol] Newport birds

  • From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 20:03:46 -0800

A nice day for birding at Newport.  Highlights included the Northern Shrike
at the Marine Science Center, 2 Tropical Kingbirds there, 3 adult Bald
Eagles hunting waterfowl between there and Idaho Point, and 4 Peregrines.
 These include one adult perched in a tree along Idaho Point Road, an imm
male that buzzed the back gate and briefly put down the 2 kingbirds, one
adult on the nest ledge at Yaquina Head and a nonresident female perched on
the snags near the lighthouse.

There was still a decent loon movement in midafternoon, also a big
southward movement of immature gulls, mostly Glaucous-winged.

Geese:

Brant        45-50 at Marine Science Center.  Eagles put tham up before I
could get a good count.

Greater White-fronted:  16 immatures in a group feeding along the roadside
near the entrance to the new NOAA facility (N of the traffic circle).

Cackling:  3 with the White-fronts.  I think these were th ones that were
out along the jetty for a while:  2 Taverners, and one that likely is an
imm Aleutian.  The latter now has an injured foot.  Also 15 flew over
Yaquina Head accompanied by 2 Western Canadas.  In my photos the 15 appear
to be ssp. minima.

Wayne