[obol] Newport and Waldport today

  • From: Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 23:41:33 -0800

Alan Contreras, Christopher Hinkle, Oscar Harper, Hendrik Herlyn and I
birded around Newport and Waldport today.

Our first stop was the south jetty of Yaquina Bay, where three Snow
Buntings flew over towards the north jetty. November seems like the best
time of year on the Oregon coast for this species, especially for multiple
birds at once -- where do they go after November?

At HMSC, a Clay-colored Sparrow in the vicinity of the feeders and a
Tropical Kingbird near the aquarium parking lots were highlights.

Nothing particularly unusual was in the Waldport area.

We ended the day up by Sally's Bend LNG tank on the north side of Yaquina
Bay. Among the thousands of water birds were hundreds of Buffleheads and
scaup, 8 Eared Grebes, 90 Horned Grebes, 2 Eurasian Wigeon, and 16
white-fronted geese.

Alan, Christopher, and I returned via Toledo. As expected, stops along the
way produced a good number of sparrows and an Orange-crowned Warbler. Just
beyond Toledo, the road crosses a small marsh. This is at the intersection
of Sturdevant Road. We pished around, hoping to find Swamp Sparrow, and
were able to see or hear at least five!

Clay-colored Sparrow photo:

Good birding,

Adrian Hinkle