[obol] Benton County Central raptor route survey

  • From: Jeff Fleischer <raptorrunner97321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 23:27:12 -0800 (PST)

Hi Everybody,

Under clear blue windless skies today, myself and 3 members of the OSU Bird
Nerds club conducted the first East Cascades Audubon Society raptor survey for
this winter on the Benton County Central route south of Corvallis.  This route
covers Kiger Island, the area between Hwy 99 W and Bellfountain Rd south of
Kiger Island Rd to Finley Rd that bisects Finley NWR and then also east of Hwy
99W between Lakeside Rd and Smith Loop.  Our survey was basically a show and
tell to the OSU group to get them familiar with the route as they will be
conducting surveys on this route this winter.

Following is a list of our findings:

Red-tailed Hawk    41
American Kestrel    16
Northern Harrier     17
Rough-legged Hawk    5
Red-shouldered Hawk    1
White-tailed Kite       1
Peregrine Falcon      1
Cooper's Hawk         1

I was quite pleased with the results based on past survey result history for
this route.  Primary concentration of birds occurred along Airport Rd and
Finley Rd.  We found six of the 8 species while viewing the Prairie Overlook on
the refuge.  The PEFA and COHA were found elsewhere on the route.

Jeff Fleischer
Albany