[obol] Marine Drive (Mult.) TUFTED DUCK

  • From: Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, portland-area-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 13:47:49 -0700

Alan Contreras, Christopher Hinkle and I found a male TUFTED DUCK along
Marine Drive about an hour ago. It was on the river with a small flock of
scaup between Chinook Landing Marine Park and the first set of house boats
(on Google maps, the stretch of river due north of Blue Lake). Access if
difficult. It might be possible to park along NE Interlachen Ln. and walk
east from there if there's a place to get across Marine Dr.

Photo:http://www.flickr.com/photos/80672850@N02/8562253499/in/photostream

In the morning, we birded around Troutdale with Jeff Hayes and Craig Tumer.
A Western Bluebird was along Swigert Road, and we found a singing Black
Phoebe at the ponds across from the Wrentit spot. A walk to the mouth of
the Sandy River produced Western and Horned Grebes, Common Loon, a Eurasian
Wigeon, and the expected flocks of Mew Gulls and scaup.

Good birding!

Adrian Hinkle