[obol] Little Gull on Monday 09.22.14

  • From: frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: klamathbasinbirdnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:05:17 -0700

I was able to find the Little Gull from the Agency Lake Resort today just
after noon. About 25-30  Bonaparte's Gull, a few Franklin's Gull plus the
Little Gull were flying about close in when I arrived and was able to get
decent bin views right away before scoping. The bird landed out 100 yards
or so after awhile and was next to a Bonaparte's for a good size comparison
like John Sullivan's photos show.
From there I went to Wood River Wetlands and walked out a couple of miles
hoping for Common Terns. Many nice birds along the way. I spotted a couple
of Caspian Terns but nothing for awhile but as I was leaving I spotted 4
Terns that flew towards me and I was able to get scope views of 4 Common
Terns.
 I then went and visited Henzel Park and viewed a large raft of Eared
Grebes with a few Horneds. Lots of Long-billed dowitchers,a few American
 Avocet, a couple of Black-necked Stilts and 4 Marbled Godwits north of the
boat ramp in the mudflats. In the willows there  Yellow Warblers, Warbling
Vireos ,Orange-crowned Warbler and many Yellow-rumped Warblers. And I heard
a Red-shouldered Hawk from the parking lot.
 Just an awesome afternoon in Klamath County! Thanks to  Russ and everyone
who shared their photos, id information and ebird lists.

good birding,
frank