[obol] Re: Lewis's Woodpecker, Cathlamet, WA

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 05:43:57 -0700

A first "recent" record, for Wahkiukum County, perhaps!

According to the species account in /Birds of Washington: Status and
Distribution/ (Wahl et al., 2005, OSU Press):

"Jewett et al. (1953) listed westside breeding records for Clark, Gray's
Harbor, Pacific, Skamania, Wahkiukum, and Whatcom Cos."

On the Oregon side, Gabrielson & Jewett (1940) described Lewis's
Woodpecker as "Summer resident in every part of State," presumably
including along the lower Columbia.

We've gotten so accustomed to the disappearance of this species from
their historic breeding range in western Washington and in the
Willamette Valley, that we've come to see them practically as vagrants
when one shows up in winter.

What's the phrase for this kind of lowering of expectations, from one
generation of naturalists to the next?

Good birding,
Joel

        Saturday, Oct. 18, a Lewis's Woodpecker was photographed and
        reported by  Robert, Lisa and Sam Sudar near 257A Elochoman
        Valley Road, Cathlamet, WA. Russ  Koppendrayer found it there
        Sunday morning, and it was still there Sunday at  3:30 pm when I
        checked it out. This is likely a first record for Wahkiakum
        County.

        Darrel Whipple
        Rainier, Oregon