[obol] Late report: American Avocet

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'OBOL' <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 16:01:26 -0700

Susan Boac sent me a photo taken at the inlet, Wireless Rd
on Tuesday 9/30 (and she sent it on Tuesday) and asked me what
I thought it was.

The photo was very ambiguous and she did not include any other
details.  I assumed it was a gull, checked the spot Wednesday
for odd gulls and didn't pursue it further.

Today, during our monthly outing, Susan asked we what kind of
shorebird I thought it was.  Shorebird?  She then described
a black and white bird with an orangy head and long bill.
The verbal description was pretty clearly AMERICAN AVOCET.

I went back to the photo and, if you know it's an avocet to
begin with, that's pretty obviously what it is.

So, the lesson is: when you send your ambiguous photos off to
one us so called experts for an opinion.  Please include a
description of what you saw so we can at least get close to
the right family when give you an opinion.

but please also keep asking the questions...

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR