[obol] Re: Klamath Basin last week

  • From: David Hewitt <dhewitt37@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 10:45:58 -0800

Romain, Don, and others visiting the Klamath Basin,

There is a regional listserv that should help you lock in on location for
some of your target birds. Just search for 'Klamath Basin Bird News' in the
Google Groups directory. As Romain noted, Miller Island is looking good
right now, in contrast to some recent years. Water has been pulled off the
refuges recently and I think birds, esp. the white geese, are heading to
Miller Island in good numbers.

The more avid birders down here are regularly posting to eBird, so check
there quickly as well if you're having a hard time with a target species.
For example, the spot for Ferruginous Hawk down near the refuges is Lower
Klamath Lake Rd, near the intersection with Fugate RD. Redhead should be no
problem, either Lake Ewauna in Klamath Falls or Wilson Reservoir to the
east on the Lost River. And Evening Grosbeaks and Pine Siskin would be hard
to miss during a drive around Running Y Ranch Resort. See eBird for maps.

Good to hear about all the birders visiting the Basin now, it's a special
time.

- Dave Hewitt, Klamath Falls

=====
From: Romain Cooper <romain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 10:30:02 -0800

Christie & I took a birding, etc. trip to the Klamath Basin on Wed., Feb 27
and returning Sat., March 2. No rarities. Generally pleasant to excellent
weather but with ground fog on Fri (March 1st) morning that hampered
observations. Numbers of Tundra Swans and Bald Eagles were high. Saw 4
Golden Eagle (both OR & CA). Rough-Legged Hawks were still numerous and
well-distributed and "keeping up" with Red-Tailed Hawk numbers in many
areas. Didn't see any Ferruginous (but visibility was low due to fog when
we visited the Township Road general area, a good site for this species.).
2 Short-Eared Owls were displaying in the Township Rd. area, OR on Wed, the
27th. We were able to get some very close looks at Snow Goose flocks
(mostly on Lower Klamath & Tule Lake - CA) which had a smattering of Ross'
Goose mixed. One spectacular "take off" close encounter where hundreds of
geese rose up and eventually joined thousands others flying northerly out
of the Basin. No Cacklers to be found. At Miller's Island State area (OR),
a flock of white geese, cooperatively close-in and about 300 individuals
were approx. 80% Ross's Geese. Most expected duck species were found. Only
found Barrow's Goldeneye on the OR side (Township Road area). 4 Cinnamon
Teal drakes (all CA), 3 Eurasian Widgeon (CA), no redheads found and
(surprisingly?) not a single green-winged teal. Only a single Gadwall
(drake, CA). About 12 Yellow-Headed Blackbirds were sighted, mostly in the
OR / Township Rd. area. 2 out of 3 male Tri-colored Blackbirds were also in
this area. Say's Phoebe were seen in low numbers throughout CA & OR areas.
Lots of Horned Lark singing on the Lava Beds side of Tule Lake. A few
singing Marsh Wrens in Tule Lake & Lower Klamath areas. White-bellied
swallows were all over though in modest numbers. Tree Swallows were the
only species we could ID. Sandhill Crane were found in numerous CA & OR
locations on the ground and fly-over with the biggest feeding flock (about
30 birds) on the Lower Klamath auto route. On Fri afternoon and evening and
Sat morning, we birded the Wood River, Ft. Klamath Areas. Birds were in
short supply. Saw our only Mountain Bluebirds (a pair). Late evening near
the Seven Mile Guard Station produced Barred, Great-Horned and N. Pygmy
Owls. Looked in vain in-town and in the surrounding farmland near Ft.
Klamath for bohemain waxwings, common redpolls, gc rosy finches, etc.
Couldn't even scare up any evening grosbeak or pine siskin flocks (which we
did find in this area during a trip last year about the same date. Were
skunked for the "winter specialties" last year as well). The landscape in
the Fort Klamath area was snow-covered and beautiful and made this part of
the trip very wothwhile. Jo's Motel in Fort Klamath has very friendly
proprietors and the place is worth fraternizing with great coffee, beer
selection, organic groceries, showers, cabins, etc. Jackson Co: On the way
to the Klamath (Wed., 27th) we tried to find the Ashland rusty blackbird
without success. Only about 4 RedWing Blackbirds were present. Didn't have
time to wait for the blackbird flock. On Rt. 66 above Emigrant Lake in the
Oak woodland area, stopped to view at least 7 Lewis' Woodpeckers. A kettle
above included 1 Golden Eagle, 2 Redtail Hawks and 4 Northern Ravens.
Josephine Co: Returning home to the Illinois Valley, we checked Martin's
Dairy Rd. (off Rockydale Rd.) and found the Snow Goose (presumably same
individual that is often in this area for the last couple months) and 7
Greater White-Fronted Geese co-mingled in the Canada Goose flock.

cheers,    Romain C

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road
Cave Junction, OR 97523