[obol] Klamath Basin last week

  • From: Romain Cooper <romain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 10:30:02 -0800

Christie & I took a birding, etc. trip to the Klamath Basin on Wed., Feb 27 and returning Sat., March 2.

No rarities. Generally pleasant to excellent weather but with ground fog on Fri (March 1st) morning that hampered observations.

Numbers of Tundra Swans and Bald Eagles were high. Saw 4 Golden Eagle (both OR & CA). Rough-Legged Hawks were still numerous and well-distributed and "keeping up" with Red-Tailed Hawk numbers in many areas. Didn't see any Ferruginous (but visibility was low due to fog when we visited the Township Road general area, a good site for this species.). 2 Short-Eared Owls were displaying in the Township Rd. area, OR on Wed, the 27th.

We were able to get some very close looks at Snow Goose flocks (mostly on Lower Klamath & Tule Lake - CA) which had a smattering of Ross' Goose mixed. One spectacular "take off" close encounter where hundreds of geese rose up and eventually joined thousands others flying northerly out of the Basin. No Cacklers to be found. At Miller's Island State area (OR), a flock of white geese, cooperatively close-in and about 300 individuals were approx. 80% Ross's Geese.

Most expected duck species were found. Only found Barrow's Goldeneye on the OR side (Township Road area). 4 Cinnamon Teal drakes (all CA), 3 Eurasian Widgeon (CA), no redheads found and (surprisingly?) not a single green-winged teal. Only a single Gadwall (drake, CA).

About 12 Yellow-Headed Blackbirds were sighted, mostly in the OR / Township Rd. area. 2 out of 3 male Tri-colored Blackbirds were also in this area. Say's Phoebe were seen in low numbers throughout CA & OR areas. Lots of Horned Lark singing on the Lava Beds side of Tule Lake. A few singing Marsh Wrens in Tule Lake & Lower Klamath areas. White-bellied swallows were all over though in modest numbers. Tree Swallows were the only species we could ID. Sandhill Crane were found in numerous CA & OR locations on the ground and fly-over with the biggest feeding flock (about 30 birds) on the Lower Klamath auto route.

On Fri afternoon and evening and Sat morning, we birded the Wood River, Ft. Klamath Areas. Birds were in short supply. Saw our only Mountain Bluebirds (a pair). Late evening near the Seven Mile Guard Station produced Barred, Great-Horned and N. Pygmy Owls. Looked in vain in-town and in the surrounding farmland near Ft. Klamath for bohemain waxwings, common redpolls, gc rosy finches, etc. Couldn't even scare up any evening grosbeak or pine siskin flocks (which we did find in this area during a trip last year about the same date. Were skunked for the "winter specialties" last year as well).

The landscape in the Fort Klamath area was snow-covered and beautiful and made this part of the trip very wothwhile. Jo's Motel in Fort Klamath has very friendly proprietors and the place is worth fraternizing with great coffee, beer selection, organic groceries, showers, cabins, etc.

Jackson Co: On the way to the Klamath (Wed., 27th) we tried to find the Ashland rusty blackbird without success. Only about 4 RedWing Blackbirds were present. Didn't have time to wait for the blackbird flock. On Rt. 66 above Emigrant Lake in the Oak woodland area, stopped to view at least 7 Lewis' Woodpeckers. A kettle above included 1 Golden Eagle, 2 Redtail Hawks and 4 Northern Ravens.

Josephine Co: Returning home to the Illinois Valley, we checked Martin's Dairy Rd. (off Rockydale Rd.) and found the Snow Goose (presumably same individual that is often in this area for the last couple months) and 7 Greater White-Fronted Geese co-mingled in the Canada Goose flock.

cheers,    Romain C

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road
Cave Junction, OR 97523