[obol] Re: Juncos near valley floor

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 10:31:56 -0700

On Jul 8, 2014, at 10:18 AM, Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Your rationale regarding bare ground vs. elevation makes sense to me.
>
> My point was that cats are not likely a major reason as to why we don't see
> that many juncos on the Valley floor at this time of the year.  Summer juncos
> are equally difficult to find in appropriate rural habitat (parks,
> campgrounds, orchards, etc.) where invasive predators are a non-factor.
>
> -Brandon

Brando - that is all true. There must be habitat considerations though that
affect this, rather than the elevation.  Juncos are very common on the Long
Beach Peninsula even though it is mostly only about 15 feet above sea level.
They also are common nesters on Mt. Tabor in Portland, right down to where the
residential area begins at its border.  I don't know that cats are the only
factor, but a ground nester would have a risky situation on a city block that
has 15 resident predators that have a lot of time for recreational hunting.

Jeff