[obol] Re: Juncos near valley floor

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 09:50:54 -0700

On Jul 8, 2014, at 7:11 AM, Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree with Jeff that outdoor cats almost certainly limit junco (and towhee)
> breeding populations in urban areas.  However, there is a lot of appropriate
> breeding habitat in the relatively cat-free rural areas of the Willamette
> Valley where breeding juncos, unlike breeding towhees, are still spotty.  If
> one were to eliminate all of the outdoor cats in the Willamette Valley, my
> guess is that the population of urban breeding juncos would increase, but not
> substantially.  The vast majority would likely continue to head to the higher
> elevations in spring.
>
> And speaking of terrestrial breeders, there is a pair of likely breeding
> towhees somewhere in my cat-infested neighborhood.  I haven't located the
> nest (haven't really tried) and don't know if they were successful.  But
> they've been calling profusely in the mornings and evenings for the past
> couple of months.
>
> Brandon
> Eugene

Urban residential neighborhoods vary of course.  My Portland neighborhood is
entirely bereft if natural habitat,   In some urban neighborhoods there are
varying amounts of native habitats still extant.

Juncos need bare ground (even if covered by bushes or trees) or short turf,
An orchard is very good habitat for juncos, and even nesting juncos if there is
a place to conceal a nest.  I think the higher elevation locations are favored
because the  ground is more open, rather than the elevation.

Jeff Gilligan