[obol] Johnson Rd near Vernonia (Washington Co)

  • From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 00:08:06 -0400

I visited Johnson Rd near Vernonia after work today. This site is still good
for gallinaceous birds, but the trash and the fact that this is a major target
shooting area really degrades the experience. I called it a superfund site in
an earlier posting.
Nevertheless, I tallied 3 calling Mountain Quail (1 seen) and 3+ Ruffed Grouse
(3 seen, 1 heard drumming) between 6-8pm. 2 Western Bluebirds, a single
Band-tailed Pigeon, a displaying Rufous Hummingbird and a calling Pileated
Woodpecker rounded out the tally. Overall activity should pick up in about 2-3
week when the migrants start trickling in.
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR