[obol] JoCo addendum

  • From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 01:15:03 -0400

After successfully twitching the Red-throated Pipit earlier today (Shawneen's
link for separating Pechora from Red-throated is REALLY worth reading), I
stopped by Whitehorse County Park around lunch: There were no less than 150
Violet-green Swallows!!! Also around was a yellow-shafted Northern Flicker.
Along Illinois River Rd west of Selma a White-throated Sparrow was in the mix
of sparrows (42.278671, -123.635620), a second one was pointed out to me by
Dave at Lake Selmac (SW side). The SE side also had a crisp adult
Red-shouldered Hawk and 2 Marsh Wrens.
2 Oak Titmice were the first birds to come in behind the Merlin rest stop off
I-5.
I often see mudflats mentioned as a place where the Red-throated Pipit is seen
at Lake Selmac. If you look carefully, it will spend almost its whole time in
the green, slightly uphill from the mudflats. Generally, Red-throated Pipits
are not mudflat birds, but lawn birds.
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR