[obol] Jackson Bottom Wetlands shorebirds

  • From: Steve Nord <stevernord@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:35:39 -0700

OBOL;

This morning Pintail Pond at Jackson Bottom was the place to be to see a
wide variety of shorebird species.  I saw 13 species or shorebirds.  The
highlight was the STILT SANDPIPER, which many birders got to see this
morning. It was a wonderful crowd sharing all these fun birds. Perhaps
others will post with their sightings, but here my eBird list, along with 2
photos of the Stilt Sandpiper:

Water levels are dropping, but looks like we should have good shorebird
habitat for a little while longer. Great time to get out and study those
waders.  The amazing aspect was that even after staring at the mudflats for
over an hour, thinking I covered the territory well, new species were being
discovered (Pectoral, Solitary, Dowitcher)

When I first arrived, soon after sunrise, there were many Great Egrets and
Great Blue Herons on the pond, along with a huge flock of Mallards.  They
departed soon after.

Good Birding
Steve Nord
Beaverton OR.