[obol] Re: Is there any estimate of Tundra Swans wintering in the Willamette Valley?

  • From: Priscilla Nam Hari Kaur <priscillanhk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark Nikas <elepaio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 12:28:28 -0800

Thank you Mark;

That is a more thorough answer than I expected anyone could even give.
I realize, as Lars posted, that these birds do move around quite a bit,
which complicates any counting unless it is all done the same day.
However, I was only really wanting to know if the Swans numbered in the
high hundreds,
or several thousands, or tens-of-thousands. Or if anyone even knew.
You've provided the answer nicely.

I had had the impression back in the late 70s, that there might have only
been
a thousand or less "Whistling Swans" in the valley at that time.
I have no clear idea where I got that impression from;
and perhaps had no basis for it other than some estimate I'd heard
for the Fern Ridge flock being near 500 at that time.
I probably got that number from Corvallis Audubon in the mid-70s
but don't hold them accountable for it; as memory and time have
certainly put all this through the wash-cycle a few times since then.

I appreciate your providing such detailed information.
Thanks!

By the way, I did leave out one sentence in my original posting,
though I don't think the post suffered much by its absence.
I meant to say that after the "children's voices" were suddenly much louder;
as if they had traveled miles in a few minutes; a flock of almost pinkish
large birds appeared about 1/2 mile away, flying low over Cabell Marsh,
the pink coming from the last light of the setting Sun.
That was my first sighting of the Swans.

Now, inspired by Jack Williams quandary over Marsh Hawks;
I offer a perhaps philosophical or technical/terminology and
tongue-in-cheek question:
Is it wrong,  when speaking of observations of birds
made back at a time when they were known by a different name,
to use the name the birds were called by at that time;
or must one use the name in use today?
Would it be accurate to say I saw Tundra Swans in the mid-70s when at that
time
there were no birds of that name? What I saw were Whistling Swans, right?
:)

Priscilla Sokolowski