[obol] Re: Imm Kite near Dallas

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: BILL ROSIE <watice@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 04:35:55 -0700

Hi Bill & all,

Some years back kites nested in the Kings Valley cemetery area (or at
least, a family group was observed multiple times in one season by Jim
Fairchild & others). That location is just a mile or so south of the
Polk Co. line.

If there were kites nesting in that area again, they wouldn't need to
disperse very far to end up near Dallas.

Happy birding,
Joel

From: BILL ROSIE <watice@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Imm Kite
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 17:50:22 +0000

On my was to Dallas this morning I saw a hatch year White-tailed Kite,
about 4 miles west of Dallas. Big question - is it too early for
dispersal from areas to the south, or was this one born locally? We
have suspected breeding here in Polk County for many years, but have
been unable to verify such as yet. I did not see any adults in the
vicinity.
Bill Tice