[obol] Gulls Hawking Insects over Newport Today

  • From: Range Bayer <range.bayer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Lincoln Co. Birding & Nature Observing" <LCBNO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 17:33:39 -0700

Hi,

It was warm with no wind today (April 13) in Newport.  It got up to
79F at Tyee Lodge south of Yaquina Head in Newport !  Yesterday, it
was sunny but the wind made it cold!

At 11:45 this morning in southwest Newport about a block from the
ocean, I saw 2-5 gulls circling about 50-100 ft above the ground and
catching insects that were flying up with the warmth.  Often we can
see gulls hawking insects here during warm, non-windy days in
July-September.

Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon