[obol] Re: Gray Catbird

  • From: Lawrence McQueen <larmcqueen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rosebudgurl@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 10:22:43 -0700

Marlowe and everyone,

Has anyone noticed, or did I miss-read something?  The first catbird looks like
a juvenile to me:  the rather loose, attenuated feathering and pink soft tissue
at the mouth.  And, the position of the adult by the bird looks like it is
being fed.  Compare also, the color of the undertail coverts in both birds,
which is rather dull in the “young” one.  Compare also, the rather juvy-like
(unformed) feathers in these coverts with the sleek, bright feathering of the
adult.  It looks as if there are at least 3 catbirds.

If this is correct, a record is set.

Larry