[obol] [Fwd: E.E. Wilson Solitary Sandpiper, Band-tails & warblers]

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:18:53 -0700

Hi all,

On an early evening walk, Martha (15) and I with dog Heidi came across a
SOLITARY SANDPIPER on the wetland just west of E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area
headquarters, where the water runs over the roadway and BEAVERS have
constructed a cryptic sort of dam along the edge of the road. The
sandpiper was standing on a clump of vegetation and fallen tree branches
that were just barely out of the water, within 20 feet from the road.

It just stood there and looked back at us while we stopped and admired
it for a minute or so, before we moved on and left the bird to get back
to feeding. Binoculars weren't really necessary but the bird was
tolerant of us passing our one pair back and forth to get close-up looks
at the plumage.

We saw numerous ORANGE-CROWNED, AUDUBON'S and MYRTLE WARBLERS working
through the trees and thickets. Toward dusk as we circled back, we saw a
dozen BAND-TAILED PIGEONS flying back toward the Coast Range to roost
for the night.

COMMON CAMAS and RED COLUMBINE are beginning to bloom in the prairie
restoration on the west side of the wildlife area, south of Camp Adair
Rd., which Ray Fiori initiated in his last year as manager of the
wildlife area. Three GREATER YELLOWLEGS were using one of those wetlands
earlier in the day, and a MALLARD pair appears to be nesting.

BARN SWALLOWS seem to have recently shown up in numbers and were mixing
it up with TREE and VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS over the wetlands. MARSH WRENS
and WRENTITS (which were hard to find on the wildlife area 10-15 years
ago) were singing in numerous places, along with the COMMON
YELLOWTHROATS.

Two adult DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS were fishing on the Canal Pond, a
little later than I'm used to seeing them. Ducks included AMERICAN
WIGEONS, RING-NECKED DUCKS, and WOOD DUCKS.

Happy birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier