[obol] Fulmars and grebes - 10/24/2014

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'OBOL' <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swalalahos <swalalahos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 19:40:37 -0700

I drove all the way down to Silver Point this morning in hopes
of cashing in on some of the tubenose action that has been reported
farther to the south.  But the weather was too nice and what wind
there was was blowing from the wrong direction.

I found an impressive southbound migration of PACIFIC LOONS and
BROWN PELICANS, but except for a few NORTHERN FULMARS things were
otherwise tubenose slow.

I also spent some time watching the Necanicum Estuary from the High
School overlook.  I was able to find the CLARK'S GREBE and the EARED
GREBE reported earlier this week by David Bailey.  There were two
MARBLED GODWITS and two GREAT EGRETS there, as well.  The lingering
WILLET was reported earlier in the week, but I did not see it today.

I think I might head to North Head lighthouse on Sunday for the
predicted westerlies.  Not quite as much of a time and distance
commitment as Silver Point...

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR