[obol] Florence birds

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 14:25:33 -0700

I woke up early today so decided on a dawn patrol seawatch at the Florence
south jetty.  Got there about 7:45.  Lots of migrant loons (all three species,
many Commons flying into the lower estuary, where six were later feeding) and
about 2000 Surf Scoters sitting off the jetties.  Light east wind may have
discouraged fancy seabirds from being close in.

Most interesting bird out there was one female Harlequin Duck inside the south
Jetty.  Extremely heavy surf and high swells made areas outside the jetties
pretty tough.

Several harriers around.  Flyover Whimbrel and Pectoral, a few Dunlin on the
goo.  An adult peregrine was cruising the estuary on both sides.

Ran into Diane Pettey and we found an adult Northern Shrike between lots 2 and
3; our first of the season.

.
.
Alan Contreras