[obol] Fern Ridge birds

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 13:44:00 -0700

Goose season of some kind started at Fern Ridge this morning, so the birding
was a little noisier than usual, but shorebirds were varied.  I got there a
little late (8:00) and met Vjera Thompson, Stephan Nance, Adam Caswell and
another birder whose name I have spaced.

Also met a number of hunters, a dog-walker and a friendly Oregon State Police
game enforcement officer.  And yeah, he was demonstrably enforcing way out on
the dikes, nice to see.

Highlights include SEVEN avocets (that's the most I have seen together in
western Oregon to my recollection), a Baird's, a rather brown Black-bellied
Plover that had me overheated for a moment, 27 Caspians, the continuing
Franklin's Gull.  Other standard-model shorebirds were present in modest
numbers.  Lots of Western Sands.

Of note is that we saw no Black-necked Stilts.  The lake is low enough now that
they could be elsewhere.

A Black-crowned Night-Heron was flying around now and then.

My first pipit of the season went over as we were leaving.

Odd sight of the day: Steller's Jay flying across the marsh north of Royal,
landing in an isolated willow tree.  Weird place to stash a nut.

Vjera can add anything of note that I forgot.
.
.
Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx