[obol] Re: Fern Ridge Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Am. Golden-Plover ... N Shrike

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 07:54:23 -0700

OBOL

I was the first one out to Fern Ridge on Friday, arriving at 7 AM and
staying until noon.  I hiked all the way around the pond in front of the
observation deck.

I met up with Hendrik's group.  I did not see the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.
We did not see any Ruff either.  Lucky Roger Robb.

On my way out I did see a NORTHERN SHRIKE in the willows near the platform
and the ring of trees around the pond nearby.

Good birding,

Paul Sullivan

-------------------------------
Subject: Fern Ridge Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Am. Golden-Plover continue
Date: Fri Oct 3 2014 17:19 pm
From: hhactitis AT gmail.com

Hello folks,

Oscar Harper, Stephan Nance and I joined John Sullivan, Barry McKenzie,

Paul Sullivan and others at the Fisher Unit of Fern Ridge Reservoir this

sunny morning to look for the previously reported SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPER

and other shorebirds. After scanning the mudflats for quite a while, we

finally discovered the Sharp-tailed in the company of several PECTORAL

SANDPIPERS, but if was a long ways out, and the increasing heat distortion

prevented us from getting decent looks or photos.

Other shorebirds present included one AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER, a couple

dozen BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS, numerous KILLDEER, a few GREATER and at least

3 LESSER YELLOWLEGS, 80+ LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS and a couple of 100 peeps

(mostly WESTERN SANDPIPERS, with a few LEAST mixed in), plus 1 (or possibly

2) DUNLIN.

While trying to relocate the Sharp-tail, we enjoyed the antics of a RIVER

OTTER in the shallow water.

On the way out, Oscar, Stephen and I spotted a lone BLUE-WINGED TEAL with a

small group of Green-wings.

A great morning to be out and about!

Happy fall migration

Hendrik