[obol] Re: Eugene Wed. Birding Group

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 17:58:11 -0700

Thank goodness for this report from the Eugene birding group:

> This morning 5 of us birded the Walterville Pond for 2 hrs. we had a
> few rain showers and some sun. ...

No gulls, and only 10 geese mentioned, on a list of 32 species. It shows
that lariphobes and victims of GAD (Goose Aversion Disorder) can still
enjoy birding in western Oregon.

As further evidence, my daughter Martha and I just took the new puppy
out for a short, late-afternoon walk at E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area (short
for us, long for a 10-week-old puppy). We saw about 15 species including
towhees, a good variety of sparrows, waxwings, robins, woodpeckers and
hawks, including one beautiful adult Sharp-shinned Hawk that circled
slowly as it soared with just a few flaps, overhead.

We didn't see or hear any gulls or geese. So this is still a safe place
to go, at least until wintering gulls find the nearby landfill, and the
local grass fields green up enough to be of interest for marauding goose
flocks.

Happy gull-free birding, and here's to feeling gooseless!
Joel

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis