[obol] ECAS Wednesday Birders Hatfield and Redmond Ponds - BG Gnatcatcher

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 13:37:43 -0700

ECAS Wednesday birders visited Hatfield, front pond only, and Redmond Sewage
Pond and lastly Lynx Pond.

A GOOD BIRD for Deschutes county, Wednesday Birders found a BLUE-GRAY
GNATCATCHER along the NW corner of the Redmond Sewage Pond. See earlier
post. It was spotted initially by Kim Boddie and eventually seen by
everyone. The birds all moved around bushtit style feeding low in vegetation
below us. From the west side we stood on the dike road and looked toward the
NW watching the birds.  We caught up with Kim Kathol out there, told him
about it, and he re-located the bird 25  minutes later in the same place.
3rd day with Gnatcatcher this year for WB but the other 2 were in Crook
county.

We also had 3 WILLOW FLYCATCHERS which can be hard to find in the county
except during migration and we have Kimdel Owen to thank for that. He
birded with us at Redmond and mentioned that he had seen one yesterday at
Lynx Pond. So we went there after main pond and sure enough, THREE of them
with other migrant passerines.

Miscellany, we enjoyed a Porcupine along the N edge of the first pond at
Hatfield.  We got a photo of a unique trifecta today, all three Kim birders
together. Other misc. info, we are at 206 birds for WB so far for 2013.

Birders today, Megan, Vickie and Ann of Eugene, Jim Palmer, Erik Jensen,
Susan Groszkviewicz, Claire Weiser, Kim Boddie, Allison Boucher, Howard
Horvath, and at Redmond only, Kimdel Owen and Kim Kathol. Full list below.
Good birding, Judy Meredith, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx
This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net

Canada Goose                      120
Trumpeter Swan                      2
Wood Duck                              3 - Redmond
American Wigeon                    2
Mallard                                   40
Cinnamon Teal                       8 - could not find Blue-winged Teal.
Northern Shoveler                   5
Northern Pintail                     8
Green-Winged Teal                30
Bufflehead                            30
Pied-billed Grebe                   9
Double-crested Cormorant     6 - Redmond only
Great Blue Heron                    1
Turkey Vulture                      10
Osprey                                   2 - Redmond
Swainson's Hawk                     1 - one juv, Redmond.
Red-tailed Hawk                    10
American Kestrel                    7
Semipalmated Plover 1 - briefly at Hatfield, flew off with 5 Gr Y'legs.
Killdeer                                 25
Greater Yellowlegs               16 - one Redmond, rest at Hatfield
Spotted Sandpiper                   1 - Howard heard one at Redmond
Western Sandpiper                  40
Least Sandpiper                      20
Baird's Sandpiper                   1 - briefly at Hatfield
Long-billed Dowitcher             13
Wilson's Snipe                        1 - west edge Hatfield
Rock Dove                               6
Eurasian Collared-Dove          3
Mourning Dove                      70
Belted Kingfisher                   1
Northern Flicker                     1
Western Wood-Pewee           1
Willow Flycatcher                   3 - Lynx
Western Kingbird                    3 - Redmond
Loggerhead Shrike                   1 - Hatfield
Western Scrub-Jay                   3
Black-billed Magpie                 4
Common Raven                        5
Tree Swallow                           2
Bank Swallow                          4
Barn Swallow                         40
Bushtit                                   15 - Redmond
BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER     1  - Redmond
Mountain Bluebird                  1
European Starling                  30
Yellow Warbler                      2 - Lynx
Vesper Sparrow                      1 - Hatfield
Savannah Sparrow                  8 - Hatfield
Western Meadowlark             5
Yellow-headed Blackbird        2 - Hatfield
Brewer's Blackbird                  6
Brown-headed Cowbird           3 - Hatfield
House Sparrow                       3

Total number of species seen: 54