[obol] Counties with Tufted Duck

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 08:44:42 -0800

California actually had Baikal Teal at Lower Klamath or Tule a couple of
years back.

For those who track such things, the 40 Common Redpolls at Lower Klamath
last month was an all-time record for California, according to a note I got
from Guy McCaskie.  It's a records committee bird there.

--
Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx / oregonreview.blogspot.com

""Every time I hear a political speech or I read those of our leaders, I am
horrified at having, for years, heard nothing which sounded human.  It is
always the same words telling the same lies. And the fact that men accept
this, that the people's anger has not destroyed these hollow clowns, strikes
me as proof that men attribute no importance to the way they are governed;
that they gamble--yes, gamble--with a whole part of their life and their
so-called 'vital interests'."

Albert Camus, 1937

From:  Dave Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
Date:  Sat, 2 Mar 2013 16:03:34 +0000
To:  Chuck Gates <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [obol] Re: 22 Counties with Tufted Duck

Given the almost uncountable numbers of diving ducks that winter in or
migrate through the Klamath Basin, it's hard to believe that Tufted Duck
has never been detected in Klamath County, but it is sort of like searching
for the a needle in a haystack. Some year I would love to spend the months
of March and April sifting through the hundreds of thousands waterfowl in
the Basin. There are several other Eurasian species/subspecies­some of which
have already turned up­that would seem likely to be hidden in the hordes.
These include:

Taiga/Tundra Bean Goose
Emperor Goose
Whooper Swan
"Bewick's" Swan
Baikal Teal
Falcated Duck
Garganey
Common Pochard
Smew

California has records of all of these species, with many coming from inland
locales.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR