[obol] Re: 22 Counties with Tufted Duck

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: chuck gates <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>, obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 16:03:34 +0000

Given the almost uncountable numbers of diving ducks that winter in or migrate
through the Klamath Basin, it's hard to believe that Tufted Duck  has never
been detected in Klamath County, but it is sort of like searching for the a
needle in a haystack. Some year I would love to spend the months of March and
April sifting through the hundreds of thousands waterfowl in the Basin. There
are several other Eurasian species/subspecies–some of which have already turned
up–that would seem likely to be hidden in the hordes. These include:
Taiga/Tundra Bean GooseEmperor GooseWhooper Swan"Bewick's" SwanBaikal
TealFalcated DuckGarganeyCommon PochardSmew
California has records of all of these species, with many coming from inland
locales.
Dave IronsPortland, OR