[obol] Coos Birds 11/23/2014

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 19:01:09 -0800

After hearing about the auklet wreck I was very interested in checking out
some local beach.  I drove out the 4x4 road to the north jetty of Coos Bay
but stopped at the plover area and cut over to the beach for about a mile
walk to the north jetty there.  Dead birds in that mile included:

72- CASSIN'S AUKLETS
4- RHINO AUKLETS
3- NORTHERN FULMAR
1- WESTERN GREBE

Glad I walked the beach as I found a group of gulls feeding on what was
likely a major decaded sea lion.  Almost all the birds there (maybe 15)
were first cycle Western Gulls but there was a really nice first cycle
GLAUCOUS GULL also feeding. It seemed to be able to run everyone else off
the sea lion also.  A big gull for sure!

Also seen were:
several hundred DUNLIN
50- LEAST SANDPIPERS
24+ SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS
6- SNOWY PLOVERS

On the drive out there I saw at least 20 RED PHALAROPES in ponds here and
there plus a half dozen dead phalaropes (heads removed, didn't see which
local raptor was doing this) although I saw two Peregrines in the plover
area at the end of the spit.

Moderate flooding in the Coquille Valley with the Coquille running three
feet over flood stage. Our hydrologist at BLM said the Umpqua River (not
remembering where) was at 124,000 cubic feet the 12th highest recording
ever!  Lots of slides in the Coast Range and many roads not open due to
slides from last weekends rain...

Merry Happy!
Tim R
Coos Bay