[obol] Common Eider - Depoe Bay

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgill@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 10:50:42 -0700

I was among the many who saw well the Pacific Common Eider on Sunday at Fossil
Point, Coos Bay.

Today I was sea watching from a second story condo on the ocean cliff at The
Village at North Pointe, Depoe Bay, when a single large duck came into view
from the north, perhaps 100 feet off the ocean.  It was perhaps 100 yards off
shore.  I soon got my binoculars on it and was stunned to see it was a Common
Eider, VERY SIMILAR to the Coos Bay bird.  Given how rare the occurrence is, I
would bet that it is the same bird.  I would suggest looking anywhere between
Boiler Bay Wayside and Yaquina Bay.

Jeff Gilligan