[obol] Columbia County

  • From: Bobbett Pierce <ensatina3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 17:11:08 -0400

Yesterday in treed hills just west of Scappoose area (Cater Road), while
walking on a logging road (I parked at gate) , I watched a pair of RED
CROSSBILLS constantly twittering to each other. The male sat on the tippy-top
of a young fir, flicking his wings. The female was perched three feet lower.
They continued the whole time I was there. A few patches of second growth were
around, but the vast majority was a sea of young tree farms.  I suppose about
the time the crossbills are feeding their young logging will commence. I
surprised a coyote in the same area. My yard: Up to 15 BANDTAILS are visiting a
feeder daily. This morning from the backyard I watched three flocks of
SANDHILLS spiral up, up and away -- each around 20 birds. EVENING GROSBEAKS are
visiting a couple times a week in small flocks. OSPREY and TREE SWALLOWS are in
the Scappoose Bay lowlands.
While in the hills I was looking at wildflowers as much as birds: Coltsfoot
just coming into bloom, bleeding hearts nearly so, and there was one early
iris. The cliff at Bonnie Falls has a lot of blooming saxifrages. Soon it will
be covered with deep blue delphiniums. The beautiful bittercress (slender
toothwort) was very popular with bumblebees and other pollinators. More so than
the trilliums, violets, and sorrel that were also in bloom. I feel sorry for
the bumblebee queens I see flying in vain over lawns now, searching for early
flowers that ought to be there.
Lona Pierce,Warren