[obol] Coastal Birding

  • From: "Tom Crabtree" <tc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'OBOL Oregon Birders Online'" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 09:30:12 -0800

This morning I had the opportunity to do some birding in Lincoln City along
Siletz Bay.  Among the highlights were 5 SOOTY FOX SPARROWS (singing, no
less; boy, do these birds sound different than the Thick-billed Fox Sparrows
we get in Central Oregon!); 1 BAND-TAILED PIGEON; 1 WRENTIT; 25
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS (including at least 5 "Myrtles." One of the birds was
a very interesting leucistic bird.  The front part looked like a normal
Yellow-rump.  The wings, tail and undertail looked like a Snow Bunting -
very starkly marked in black and white.  I don't recall ever seeing a
leucistic warbler before.  Other highlights were 12 RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS
in Siletz Bay, a WRENTIT and a PACIFIC WREN.

Tom Crabtree, Bend