[obol] Re: Clark's Grebe and Common Tern, Broughton Beach, PDX

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "mapsout@xxxxxxxxxxx" <mapsout@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 14:38:38 -0700

Beverly,

The eye of this bird seems to be surrounded by dark feathering (looking at this
on my phone), which leads me to believe it's probably just a Western with a
bill that is more yellow than normal. In my experience hybrids show a
dark/light divide line that runs right through the eye. They also tend to be
lighter on the flanks than this bird. Aside from bill color, this individual
shows the pattern of a Western Grebe.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

Sent from my iPhone