[obol] Broughton Beach (Portland) Today

  • From: Jen Sanford <jjsanford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 17:18:10 -0700

Hi all,

This afternoon I walked to Broughton Beach to look for Beverly's possible
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER from yesterday.  I found what I think was the bird,
along with some of his buddies.  I took some terrible distant photos and
would love to hear what others think.  Here are three, including one with
some coots for size reference:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stoptellingmeitsokay/15460153008/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stoptellingmeitsokay/15025539324/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stoptellingmeitsokay/15025539424/

The birds were definitely NOT in Multnomah County.  They were drifting west
slowly, starting at Wintler Park, then passing Marine Park before I lost
them completely.

I also finally tried to look for the hybrid Clark's X Western Grebe and
would like to know if I found the correct bird:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stoptellingmeitsokay/15460143318/

Other highlights at Broughton Beach were 1 DUNLIN and 1 COMMON LOON, and a
late OSPREY flying south east of the Sea Scout Base.

Good birding,

Jen Sanford
Portland